Sunday, February 7, 2010

Artificial Nails during Pregnancy?

Is it safe to continue to get my artificial acrilyc nails done during my pregnancy? I didn't know if the chemicals could affect the baby in a negative way. Also, what about hair dye?Artificial Nails during Pregnancy?
My OB told me to avoid getting my nails done. I explained that I did my own at home, so I could do them in a well ventilated area. He told me that I would still need to get a mask from Home Depot with a filter on it. I know a lot of women do continue to get their nails done, but there are some really harsh chemicals in acrylic nail products which produce some bad fumes. I didn't want to take the chance.





Coloring your hair is okay, but try to wait until after the first trimester because much of the development happens during this time, so you don't want to subject your baby to any unnecessary fumes. Also, the less chemicals you use, the better. Going from dark shades to blonde or highlights will use more chemicals. If you can avoid that, you're better off.





Best wishes.Artificial Nails during Pregnancy?
I've head that you shouldn't do your nails during pregnancy because the chemicals in the nail polish can be absorbed through your nails. I'm guessing, like hair coloring, this would be okay after the first trimester, but I'm not sure.

Report Abuse



I have had them both done throughout all my pregnancies and they are fine. I acually helped out at my moms hair solon which did nail as well, while I was pregnant. So I was around it all day and they doctor told me it was fine.
hair is completely fine, my doc ok-ed it. nails i didn't ask about but i would DEFINITELY wear a mask for both things
nails are fine. the hair coloring in controversial. some say its ok and others say its not. i personally still put chemicals in my hair to keep up my appearance.
nails are ok to get done durning pregnancy but hair coloring i would not do the chemicals in hair dye are mor dtronger then in the nails it could have a effect on the baby
If you want to have your nails or hair done just wear a mask when you have it done. That way none of the fumes will cause any problems.
Nails are fine, but you need to be in a well ventilated salon. Use your judgment, if you walk in and the chemical smell is so overwhelming, leave.


Good luck and congrats.
The only thing to be concerned about regarding the nails is the fumes associated. Those can't be good for the baby. I'd recommend wearing a mask while you are in the salon.





I wouldn't color my hair during pregnancy, but that is just a personal choice.





Your doctor can better advise you on this topic.





Good luck!
you must be in well venilated shop to get your nails done or else yes it dangerous...and its safe to do your hair in anyway you want... it wont affect the baby
I would definitely avoid both for the 1st 3-4 months while the fetus is developing. After that I'm not sure %26amp; would ask my Doc 1st. Me personally I would just forgo the nails while pregnant but you need your Docs advice on this one!


Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment